Retargeting Windows 8 RSS Reader to Windows 8.1

Recently I installed Windows 8.1 RTM and Visual Studio 2013 Release candidate and decided to upgrade my @Win8RSSReader open source app to Windows 8.1. I checked in the first batch of changes to the source code, though it’s a long way from the finish line.

There are a number of changes to Windows 8.1 including Page life cycle improvements, Visual States and Snapped View, see Windows App builder blog. There is also a retargeting guide on MSDN

In the first step, I retargeted the start page ItemsPage.xaml so here are few things I did.

Opening up the solution in Visual Studio 13 you get this option to retarget, notice the Solution Explorer says (Windows 8), selecting an option from right-click ‘Retarget to Windows 8.1’ modifies few required settings in Package.appxmanifest and .csproj files 

Retarget to Windows 81

Next up remove dependency on the older C++ Runtime package and reference the latest package

Remove SDK

Imported NavigationHelper, ObservableDictionary and RelayCommand types from a blank HubApp project template that Visual Studio 13 RC generated for me

image

Other most important things before launching the app

That’s about it, see the source code on Codeplex.

FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailGoogle+